- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 10 tablespoons butter, cubed
Test Kitchen Tips
- In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to batter; beat at low speed until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted. Gradually add to batter; beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13×9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Salted butter really brings out the flavor of this subtle classic.
- Cube leftovers to layer into a trifle with berries and cream.
- Swap almond extract for the vanilla, and serve with whipped cream and toasted almonds.
1 piece: 254 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.